Posted October 31, 2012 by Steve Young
Are you considering adding online video into your marketing efforts? Do you need some statistics to convince your boss that using online video in your marketing efforts is worth the investment?
Or do you need some pickup lines because your crush is a filmmaker? Hey babe, did you know that two-thirds of the world’s mobile data traffic will be video by 2016? Why don’t you buy me a drink?
25 online video marketing statistics that you should know
- YouTube attracts 136MM unique viewers per month. (source: NIELSEN) Tweet this stat!
- YouTube users watch more than 3B hours of video per month. (source: YouTube) Tweet this stat!
- 72 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute. (source: YouTube) Tweet this stat!
- 75% of online video viewers have interacted with an online video ad in the past month. (source: Tremor Video) Tweet this stat!
- 80% of online video ads are abandoned within the first half of the ad. (source: VINDICO) Tweet this stat!
- 86% of colleges and universities have presences on YouTube. (source: University of Massachusetts Dartmouth) Tweet this stat!
- 147.4MM Americans watch video on the internet. (source: Nielsen Wire) Tweet this stat!
- Roughly 74% of the online video market now supports HTML5. (source: LongTail Video) Tweet this stat!
- Animated explainer videos increase conversion rates by 20%. (source: Unbounce) Tweet this stat!
- 36% of online consumers trust video ads. (source: Nielsen Wire) Tweet this stat!
- 87% of online marketers use video content. (source: Outbrain) Tweet this stat!
- 76% of marketers plan to increase their use of YouTube and video marketing, making it the top area marketers will invest in for 2012. (source: Social Media Examiner) Tweet this stat!
- 49% of the top 20% of B2B marketers in generating leads through social media integrate online video with social media, compared to the industry average of 32%. (source: Aberdeen) Tweet this stat!
- Video ads make up 35% of total online ad spending, up from 27% in 2011. (source: Break Media) Tweet this stat!
- Digital video advertising spend will reach $5.4B by 2016. (source: Break Media) Tweet this stat!
- 49% of U.S. marketers plan to boost video ad spending in 2012, and 65% have larger mobile ad budgets. (source: eMarketer) Tweet this stat!
- Comedy is the most popular form of online video content among all viewers (39%), followed by news (33%) and music (31%). (source: Burst Media) Tweet this stat!
- Rich media ads with video generate 6 times as many post-ad site visits as standard banner ads. (source: MediaMind) Tweet this stat!
- Online video advertisers prefer pre-roll ads by a 3:1 margin over the next most favored format. (source: Break Media) Tweet this stat!
- 30 second in-stream mobile video ads have an 88.3% completion rate. (source: Rhythm Insights) Tweet this stat!
- Combining video with full page ads boosts engagement by 22%. (source: Rhythm Insights) Tweet this stat!
- 4 out of 5 online users will click away if a video stalls while loading. (source: Google) Tweet this stat!
- 22% of U.S. small businesses plan to post a video to YouTube in the next 12 months to promote their businesses. (source: BIA/Kelsey) Tweet this stat!
- Enjoyment of video ads increases purchase intent by 97%, and brand association by 139%. (source: Unruly) Tweet this stat!
- Two-thirds of the world’s mobile data traffic will be video by 2016. (source: Cisco) Tweet this stat!
(photo source: kozumel)
About Steve Young
Steve Young is the Director of Product Marketing at SmartShoot. He enjoys writing about marketing, design and product development. Although he shares the same name as a famous quarterback he unfortunately does not share the same bank account, so please throw him a bone and share or comment on his posts. Connect with him on Twitter and Google+.
Keep in touch: @stevepyoung